Memory loss is a common issue that occurs with the gradual aging process. People always wish to stay happier, healthier and lead a productive life. For healthy living, optimal functioning of the brain is one of the pivotal aspects, as a good intelligence level can keep you mentally active and physically fit. You need to include brain -healthy fats like Omega-3, Vitamins, and Antioxidants in your diet.
Essential omega-3 fatty acid not only slows the rate of mind-debilitating disorders but can promote mental acuity. For such reasons, you need to consume ample amounts of Olive oil, fish, and walnuts along with antioxidant-rich foods. You should refrain from eating unrefined carbohydrates including instant and processed foods, as those foods can spike your blood sugar level hampering healthy brain functioning. Oxidative damage is one of the key cause of short-term memory loss and brain decline. As human brain is highly sensitive to oxidative, free radical damage, antioxidants can safeguard the brain from such damage.
Here is a list of foods that can improve your mental heath and memory:
- Researchers conclude that diet rich in berries, especially blueberries, greatly improves motor skills and learning capacity.
- Blueberries are loaded with healthy nutrients and antioxidants and help in minimizing the effects of aging.
- Intake of blueberries keeps you protected from chronic ailments of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia and also protect the brain from oxidative stress.
- One of the surprising attribute of blueberries it not only slow down the aging process but can actually reverse the problems of memory loss.
- Unlike the regular blueberries, the wild blueberries are seen to have the highest antioxidant capacity per serving.
- Some of the other berries that also have brain-boosting benefits are cranberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
Recommended Intake– You can consume 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries every day for healthy brain functioning.
- The human brain contains DHA, and studies reveal that consuming the right amount of omega-3 fatty acids offers you emotional balance and positivity.
- Intake of fish aids in rejuvenating your mood, and you can easily overcome the problems of depression and memory loss.
- Salmon and other cold-water fishes contain a high percentage of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Omega-3s are essential for healthy brain functioning and they also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Some of the other sea fishes that are great to boost your memory power are sardines and herring.
Recommended Intake– You can add a 4-ounce serving of omega-3 rich fish in your menu two to three times a week.
- Due to the antioxidant property of citrus fruits they are often added on the list of “brainy” foods.
- The bright red, orange and yellow-colored fruits are antioxidant rich and good for your memory.
- Some of the best citrus fruits that can be a part of your brain-boosting diet are oranges, cantaloupe, apricots, red grapes, blackberries, and prunes.
Recommended Intake– As Vitamin C is great for the healthy functioning of your body as well, you can have as many of the fruits as you like with a minimum of five servings daily.
- In promoting brain health, avocados are almost as powerful as blueberries.
- Though it is true that avocados are rich in fats, it has the monounsaturated fat that contributes to healthy blood circulation in the body.
- Due to efficient blood circulation, your brain functions optimally.
Recommended Intake– Since avocado is high in calories; you can have 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado daily.
Nuts and seeds:
- Both these food groups are an excellent source of the antioxidant and Vitamin E.
- Researchers conclude that higher levels of vitamin E improve cognitive functioning of the brain.
- Some of the healthy seeds to incorporate in your diet are sunflower seeds, flax seed, and sesame seeds.
- Nuts are often regarded as a superfood for the brain, as they enhance your memory naturally.
- Some of the brain-boosting nuts that your diet can comprise are walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, filberts, almonds and cashew nuts.
Recommended Intake– You can have 1 ounce of nuts or seeds on a daily basis. However, you should avoid overeating nuts, as they are extremely high in calories and can make you obese.
- Beans are best known for regulating blood sugar levels in the body.
- Since the brain functioning is somewhat dependent upon glucose for fuel, beans provide a constant flow of energy.
- Some of the healthy beans your diet can comprise are black beans, lima beans, kidney, and garbanzo.
Recommended Intake– You can have 1/2 cup of beans daily. Try preparing soups or side dishes using the flavourful beans and add those dishes in your menu.
- Whole grains are rich in fiber and they promote excellent blood circulation and keep your heart and brain health.
- Wheat germ which is technically not a whole grain, also goes on the “superfoods” list, as it contains high amounts of fiber, Vitamin E, and some omega-3s.
- Some of the best whole grains that you can add in your menu are Oatmeal, brown rice, whole-grain bread, and barley.
Recommended Intake– You can either have a half cup of oatmeal or other whole-grain cereal, 3-4 slices of whole grain bread or two tablespoons of wheat germ daily.
Freshly Brewed Tea:
- Whether it’s iced or hot, a cup of freshly brewed tea contains a modest percentage of caffeine.
- When you drink tea in moderation, it can boost your brain power by enhancing memory, focus, and mood.
- The potent antioxidants present is tea help in rejuvenating your mood and it has catechins, which promotes healthy blood flow.
- Green tea comprises of ingredients that improve mental relaxation and alertness.
Recommended Intake: You can intake two to three cups freshly brewed tea day, it serves as a stimulant.
- Dark chocolate is rich in natural stimulants, including caffeine that improves focus and concentration.
- The powerful antioxidants present in dark chocolate stimulate the production of endorphins that help improve mood.
- However, you need to intake dark chocolate in moderation as they are rich in calories.
Recommended Intake– You can have 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate daily. You need to remember that other chocolate varieties like milk chocolate and white chocolate are not that beneficial as dark chocolate.
- Your body needs the optimal amount of water for healthy brain functioning.
- As the brain comprises of 80 percent water and a primary role of brain nutrition are hydration.
Recommended Intake– You need to drink at least 8-9 glasses of water every day.
To put a halt on the aging process, an anti-oxidant and nutrient rich diet will help your brain function perfectly.